Med1Care Therapy Partner’s physical therapists specialize in the treatment of amputation care. We offer a comprehensive, multi-disciplinary approach, focusing on building skills and maximizing independence.
Amputation Care Overview
- Approximately 2 million individuals are living with limb loss. The primary reason for lower limb amputation is disease process while the primary reason for upper limb loss is trauma. We have been seeing a higher rate of amputations as the increasing rate of diabetes affects our nation, the increasing number of veterans return from service, as well as with motor vehicle accidents and industrial accidents.
- Once someone faces the prospect of having an amputation, their challenges only begin. Multiple factors can increase the difficulty of living with an amputation such as the level of amputation, if the person has a cognitive impairment, what the person’s physical condition is, their nutrition status, and what social support is available.
“We aim to bridge those challenges with you!”
What Our Program Aims To Provide
- Med1Care Therapy Partners’ aim to collaborate with all members of the team, creating a trans-disciplinary amputation care team (TACT). This patient-centered team approach will allow seamless communication and continuum of care.
- Provide efficiency and effective care by using up-to-date, evidence-based Clinical Practice Guidelines (CPGs).
CPGs Med1Care Therapy Partners have referenced:
- VA/DoD Clinical Practice Guidelines for Rehabilitation of Individuals with Lower Limb Amputation
- Clinical Practice Guidelines for the Rehabilitation of Lower Limb Amputation Am J Phys Med Rehabil 2019;98:820-829
- VA/DoD Clinical Practice Guideline for the Management of Upper Limb Amputation REhabilitation
We plan to individualize treatment to each phase of amputation care:
> Perioperative Phase (phase before surgery)
- During this phase, we aim to decrease your need to get an amputation altogether by addressing the underlying causes such as diabetes and peripheral vascular management.
- On the other hand, for those who know they need an amputation, this phase helps establish a plan to maximize your functional outcomes following the surgery by understanding factors surrounding the decision to amputate as well as the residual limb length and amputation level.
> Preprosthetic Phase (phase after amputation but before you get a custom prosthetic)
- Phase after amputation but before you get a custom prosthetic.
- During this phase, we work with you on different types of equipment to prepare you for a custom prosthetic, walk you through how to get a prosthetic, as well as maximize your function without a prosthetic to reduce falls and need for assistance to perform your daily activities.
> Prosthetic Training Phase (phase after you get your prosthetic)
- During this phase, we get you back up and running! Figuratively and literally. At Med1Care Therapy Partners, we use valid, reliable and responsive functional outcome measures to maximize your progress and return to quality movement. We don’t just use one. We use a combination to capture all your improvements and needs.
Peer Support Services:
- Amputee Support Groups provide Amputees and their families a place to get answers before and after amputations. Med1Care Therapy Partners’ aim to provide an opportunity to network, obtain useful information and share experiences with others who are members of this community.
Benefits from Amputation Rehabilitation at Med1Care Therapy Partners
- Avoid the amputation all together. We can help you reduce the need for amputation with our in-house wound care team.
- Our TACT will allow for better communication with all interdisciplinary team members providing services to you.
- We are here for the long haul. We will provide a Life-long continuum of care to address your physical, psychosocial, and functional needs.
- Our Goal is to optimize your health status, function, independence and Quality of Life.
“Don’t let physical limitations limit you!”
Call us at 419.866.0555 to schedule a consultation.
Our specialists will help you chart a course forward.